Monday, March 5, 2012

Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies

When I was pregnant, I made these cookies at least once a week, and I couldn't keep my hands off of them. I have more restraint now, for some reason, but they are still yummy. The whole grain oat flour is what makes them stay soft even after they cool--and it's healthy for you, too. The only thing is, I advise you to avoid the gluten-free version unless you need to use it for allergy reasons. I tried it once and it made things unpleasant for me, digestion-wise. If you do use it, don't indulge in more than one cookie at a time.

You will need:

1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
3/4 cup of whole grain oat flour
1 tsp aluminum-free baking soda
1 tsp kosher salt (if it's not kosher, use 1/2 tsp)
2 sticks of softened margarine*, cut into pieces.
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

two mixing bowls
whisk
hand mixer
parchment paper
nonstick cooking spray
one or two cookie sheets
spatula
two small spoons

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine the flours, baking soda, and salt in one bowl. If the two bowls are of different sizes, use the smaller one for the dry ingredients. Also, as an aside, I would never purchase plastic mixing bowls, because the day will come when you need to beat egg whites in them, and plastic makes it nearly impossible to get egg whites to stiffen. So if you're thinking of purchasing some mixing bowls, go with metal (copper if you can afford it--best, once again, for egg whites) or pyrex.

Whisk to remove lumps--I always do this rather than sifting, which takes too long for me and also tires out my hand. Once you're satisfied that the lumps are gone, add the chocolate chips and mix.

With the hand mixer, beat the margarine, sugars, and vanilla extract until fully blended. Add the eggs, beating them in. The margarine gives this mixture a strange, grainy quality, as in the photo.Gradually add in the flour mixture, perhaps in 3 parts, or 4.

Spray the cookie sheet(s) with nonstick cooking spray and then line with parchment paper--this makes removing the cookies easy later, and clean up is that much quicker. Using the two spoons, scoop cookie dough and put it in large dollops (just under the size of a golf ball) onto the parchment paper, taking care to keep them apart. These will spread, and run into each other, if they are too close together.

Bake for 10 minutes (although you should probably set your timer for 8 minutes with the first batch since my oven may be different from yours). Cookies are done when they are a medium brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the sheet for about 7-9 minutes. If you are working with a second cookie sheet you can put it in, and use the spatula to move the baked cookies from their sheet to a plate about a minute or two before the next batch is ready.

Makes about 20-25 cookies.
________________________________
* I use Blue Bonnet. I don't know whether Blue Bonnet is the best margarine to use, but I will say that between choosing butter and stick margarine, I would choose stick margarine every time. It just tastes better.

7 comments:

  1. Switch over from margarine to real butter, and this recipe looks like a winner.

    Just a question -- why would the gluten-free version of oat flour be any different than the "regular" version? Isn't the only difference that it isn't ground in a factory that also grinds wheat -- so possible gluten contamination is reduced?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lo! (I like the sound of that!)
    Honestly, I've tried the recipe with butter, and it just isn't as good. It lacks flavor, somehow. However, it's totally a matter of taste, so please substitute what you prefer.

    I'm also a bit baffled by the difference with the "gluten free" oat flour, as I understand that all oat flour is technically gluten free. As you pointed out, it would seem reasonable that the only difference be in the production. Still, I bought a bag of Bob's "gluten free" oat flour once because they didn't have the regular kind at the store, thinking it would make no difference. That bag will never get used, let me tell you, because the effect on my digestion was unmistakable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a batch this morning, Blue Bonnet margarine and all! (I'm/we're not usually margarine people.)
    Unanimous conclusion in my household: good cookie. How moist they were was especially appreciated. According to my parents chocolate chip cookies don't always succeed in such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although they did comment on the amount of chocolate chips, which was, according to them, a lot. But it didn't bother me.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you guys enjoyed them!

      Delete
  4. Mmm these look so good! I've been looking for a recipe for SOFT chocolate chip cookies. I'll definitely try baking these!

    Check out my online magazine for other recipes, they might inspire you: http://theworldwider.net (worldwide cooking category)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, Worldwider! Let me know how the cookies turn out. :)

    ReplyDelete